Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Zesty chicken-noodle casserole"

This year I am going to make at least one recipe each month out of my cook books, so I make more of an effort to use them.
Here is one I made this week:

And sorry, no step by step for this one.

You will need:
6 oz wide noodles
1 T olive oil
4 t flour
2 C FF milk
1 red onion, chopped
2 T chopped canned green chiles
1 T dijon mustard
4 t dried bread crumbs

First cook the noodles, following the directions on the package. Preheat your oven to 375.

In a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Sprinkle with the flour; whisking constantly for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cheese, whisking constantly until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the noodles, chicken, onion, chiles, and mustard. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top. Bake until browned and bubbly 20-25 minutes.


This was out of my Weight Watchers cook book and it was 9 points. I have liked the recipes I have tried out of it, but I did not love this one. I'm not sure I would call this recipe "zesty". The onions were crunchy and a bit strong and the taste overall was a bit bland. It I were to make it again, I would use white onion and saute them a bit before adding to the casserole. I think mushrooms would also be a good addition that would not raise the point value. You live and learn-part of the adventures in cooking! :)

No comments: